Hiring a car in Kefalonia
Aim of this section
To provide contemporary and concise information regarding options and considerations for car hire in Kefalonia based upon recent experience of people who have hired cars here.
The companies listed below all have generally good feedback and most people find the local operators provide a better service than multinational companies which can also be used and found in the arrival hall at the airport.
This information is the best we can provide AS IT IS SUBJECTIVE SUBJECT ,after this its down to your choice of requirements which may include consideration of; credit card requirements, CDW policies, driver age policies, etc. all of which and much more are included in each companies websites policies information.
Should I hire a car and what are the roads like?
There is little doubt most people who holiday on Kefalonia will get a better experience of the island wonderful natural beauty, resorts and places of interest by hiring a car and travelling independently.
The roads these days almost all have good concrete or tarmac surfaces, albeit with a few pot holes here and there! and have solid barriers when occasionally they run close to steep drops.
The hire car companies all provide basic road maps covering the main routes and satnavs are not really required but if navigation worries you the the Navmii App works on the island and can be downloaded so mobile data is not required.
Car Hire the Boring but potentially costly bits!
- Generally it is the case that the earlier in advance you book the cheaper car hire is likely to be and whilst supply is catching up demand there has been a shortage of hire cars in July and August for the last few seasons in Kefalonia, so its best to book early especially in peak Summer months.
- If your traveling independently or coach transfers are at additional cost and you intend to hire a car for your holiday duration it is usually more cost effective to hire with a company where you can pick up and drop off at airport.
- Read the small print before booking to ensure you are covered e.g. if you go to the expense of hiring a Jeep and intend to use it on dirt roads check the insurance covers you for non surfaced roads.
- Check Collision Damage waver (CDW)and excess policies to ensure it meets your requirements, before you consider paying for Super Collision Damage waiver (SCDW) with the car hire supplier check out independent suppliers they will usually be cheaper but you have to pay for any damage and claim back afterwards.
- Check the car includes warning triangle, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, torch and high visibilty vest.
|Company||office near/at airport||Airport delivery||Main branch locations||Website|
|CBR||Yes office on left as you leave airport||N/A||Airport|
|Greekstones||No||You will be met at airport arrivals hall||Svoronata|
|Venus||No||You will be met at airport arrivals hall||Katelios||Venus car Rental|
|Pefanis||Yes office about 300m up road from airport||You will be met at airport arrivals and driven to office (about a minute away)||Airport|
|Express||Yes office on left as you leave airport||N/A||Airport|